Wednesday 8 July 2015

Opportunity Is Always Knocking The Door - Part 1

I had a chat with a friend of mine who said, “People think we don’t get opportunities but actually the opportunities are always out there”.

If it was a few years ago, I would have totally disagreed with that statement, saying, “People are just lucky to get good opportunities in their life”.

But with things changed over the years, meeting new people with different perspective of life and taking certain actions towards building my own career, has changed the way I think as well.

So here was I trying to figure out as an intern how I can research the task given to me about online radio when my colleague tells me, “Hey, you know what? I know someone who has an online radio station. Maybe you can drop them a visit and get to know things better”.

I was pretty excited when I heard this. ‘This could be an awesome opportunity for my research! And I’ve never been to a radio station before. This is going to be great!', I thought to myself.

Though it took me sometime to call up the founder of the online radio station (due to not feeling well), I managed to explain to him about my intern company and the reason for our visit. He seemed a bit confused with my explanation. I guess not many people calls up a company asking if they can pay them a visit to explore their field of work. Maybe that or me and my intern company are just crazy.

At the end of our conversation, the founder of the online radio station requested an email stating the purpose of our visit before he can consider our proposal. I told him I will send the email and we ended our call.

However, after that conversation, I felt that my visit to the online radio station would be harder than expected. In my mind, I thought if people were to request a lot of things before approving something, it means they do not trust us and the proposal is going to be rejected.

I spoke to my boss about this, who also happens to be my mentor, and he told me to proceed with the email under the company, ET Ideas.

So, I drafted the email and asked my colleague’s favor to look through it in case of any mistakes. (Thanks to her, the email sounded much better. :) )

And so, I sent the email to the Founder of DurianASEAN.

Was the email approved? Did we visit DurianASEAN? That’s something you are about to find out on Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment