Thursday 30 July 2015

Unconditional Love

What's love meant to be?

Can it be defined?

Well, it used to be between family and the ones that I like a lot.

That's until I was introduced to this two words - unconditional love.

Though what it meant was pretty obvious but I still asked the question, 'What the hell does that mean?'

I found the answer to that which is loving someone without any conditions. But it is still not easy to be practised.

Let me share an experience of mine. The word love is a habit pattern to me for many years since young. But I only knew about unconditional love a few years back. Though I thought proudly that I'll be able to practise it, I came to understand quite a bit lately that it takes more effort to get the hang of it.

I was a little, who am I kidding, very emotional when I thought a particular close friend of mine didn't care about me. In my mind, I assumed that that person did not like me and did not want to spend time with me. I was on tears when I was expressing this to my boyfriend. I guess I was very emo at that time.

But he made me laugh by saying, "Does that mean if your friend doesn't want to spend time with you, you are going to cry?" I laughed at his question. It made me look very childish.

What he said next stunned me. "That means you don't have unconditional love for your friend."

He added, "What if your friend tells you that she is no longer interested in you and would like to end the relationship? What would you do?"

At that moment, my mind was quick to answer, 'That could never happen, I'm sure.'

But later I realised, that's a wrong way to think.

If we really love someone unconditionally, whatever choices that makes that person happy, though it is choosing someone else instead of you, should make you feel happy too.

Hours later, I text my mentor, "How can we have unconditional love if emotions exist?"

And I got a reply that got me to understand, as long as we have emotions that keeps going from one corner to the other, we can never have unconditional love.

The key to unconditional love is to be understanding and be happy for that person without attaching any emotions.

Might sound ridiculous, but the idea of reacting to love and responding to unconditional love gets you discovering lots of things about yourself. 

And aren't that the greatest discovery of all?

No comments:

Post a Comment